Sunday, February 16, 2014

Hello Sweet Friend

Today I have two cards to share! After making the first card I had a bunch of scraps on my desk and decided to throw them all together for a second card. The first one is a bit more traditional while the second one is more freestyle collage with all the little scrap pieces. Come see!

Hello Sweet Friend I took inspiration in the colors – Blushing Bride, Black and Very Vanilla – from the Nacho Average challenge and started by pulling out pieces of paper and embellishments in the colors listed. The Modern Medley DSP has been making its way into all of my projects lately, ha! I love it! After layering the DSP and a strip of Blushing Bride cardstock onto the Very Vanilla base, I then stamped a decorative strip from Mosaic Madness along the bottom in black ink.

I pulled out my Secret Garden stamp set and matching dies to stamp and cut the flower and then crumpled it to add some texture. I layered a black fern piece behind the flower which I raised up with foam squares. I stamped the sentiment, and finished off the card by adhering Blushing Bride candy dots onto black sequins and added those to the center of the flower.

 

So next is my second card made from all the scraps and pieces leftover from the first card! I stayed with the original colors but added in lots of gold!  Striped Doily

I started by adhering strips of sticky tape to the card base and then sprinkled gold glitter over the strips. Looking at it now I should have measured it out and done five stripes, but I’ll remember that for next time. :) I’m throwing this little number in for the Just Add Ink stripes challenge!  Next, I took a white doily and embossed it with gold embossing powder. Take your VersaMark pad and direct to paper stamp all across the doily, sprinkle powder over the doily and then heat emboss. Then it was a matter of layering on all my little bits and pieces.

The fern stem was the left over piece from the die cut above. I used this same technique on a card that was in Practical Solutions for Paper crafters Vol. 2 on using leftovers/bits and pieces.  I wet and crinkled the edges before adhering it over the doily. Then tiny strips cut from the dsp were layered under and extra flower along with a strip of lace trim. I also popped up the flower with foam squares. Last came the black and gold sequins.

I’m hoping to get back in my craft room later today. It was a big transition at first switching rooms, but I think both Gwynie and I are happy with the change! She has a much bigger room in the basement that’s perfect for a teen, and having my room on the main level has been so nice because I go in there whenever I want and don’t feel like I’m ignoring the family. :)

Supplies: (All supplies Stampin’ Up!)

CS: Blushing Bride, Very Vanilla, Basic Black, Modern Medley DSP   Stamps: Secret Garden, Mosaic Madness, Six Sided Sampler (sentiment)   Ink: Blushing Bride, Basic Black   Misc: candy dots, Secret Garden dies, lace trim, doily, gold embossing powder, sticky tape, gold glitter; sequins (Hobby Lobby)

15 comments:

Kathya said...

WOW Kandi, beautiful cards! Love how you used the Nacho Average colors for your first card, lovely. Hope you will join us again.

Patrice said...

Great cards. I'm never good at using my scraps...I'm impressed that you do! Loving those glittery gold stripes - thanks for joining the challenge at Just Add Ink this week.

Christine Blain said...

Such gorgeous colours, Kandi. I'm also impressed that you were able to 'throw together' a second card with the scraps left over from your first! Just lovely. Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink this week.

Narelle Farrugia said...

Ditto to Christine's comment - your cards are fabulous with gorgeous colours! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week!

Nikki Spencer said...

Well done Kandi, your use of scraps has produced a fab card...love those gold sparkle stripes. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

Yapha Mason said...

Absolutely gorgeous cards! Fantastic use of the colors! Thank you for joining us at Nacho Average Challenges!

Anne Hayward said...

Striking and beautiful with a lot of interesting elements!

Rose said...

Pretty cards-love the flowers and use of the black leaf. Very nice-

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful!

Christy Lynn said...

I like the crumpled paper texture on the flowers on the first card, and the gold-embossed doily on the second. Great job on both and thanks for joining us at Nacho Average Challenges this week!

Tina said...

Your cards are brilliant! I love the way you've used the negative die cut on the second card. Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink.

Anonymous said...

Great card - I love the LO and how you have used the embellishments together. Chantell JAI

Shans Design Studio said...

Beautiful card! Love how you created the flower. Thanks for playing along with the Nachos. :)

Shans Design Studio said...

Beautiful card! Love how you created the flower. Thanks for playing along with the Nachos. :)

Shans Design Studio said...

Beautiful card! Love how you created the flower. Thanks for playing along with the Nachos. :)