Saturday, February 13, 2016

SSD February Tip & Technique Hop!

Welcome to the Skipping Stones Design February Tip & Technique Blog Hop! Make sure to visit the other designers along the hop for all the great techniques and tips to be shared.

I have been obsessed with embossing, watercoloring and sequins lately (see here, here, here and here), so told myself I had to find another coloring medium to incorporate for the hop this month. Challenge accepted.

I remembered a long ago technique using Versamark and chalks, where you stamp your image in Versamark and then use a cotton swab (Q-tip) to pick up the chalk and color in the wet ink.

Purple Chalk Flowers

I used the Beautiful Botanicals set to play with this technique and love the soft look, and the unique way to color a solid image without inks or markers!

Purple Chalk Flowers Close Up

I had so much fun making this card, that I had to use this technique with the larger flower image.

Red Chalk Flowers

For this card, I also chalked the background after coloring in the flowers, I love the blue sky with fields of flowers!

Red Chalk Close up

One tip for you as well, I sometimes leave the card front (and inside) without a sentiment. This leaves the card open for anything like a quick birthday, thinking of you or thank you card!

What stamp sets would you use trying this technique?

 

Make sure to visit the rest of the team!

Skipping Stones Designs Blog

Ilina 

Jen

Coralynn

Larissa 

Martha Lucia

Tanja

Stephanie

Kandi (you are here!)

5 comments:

Christy Q said...

Stunning cards!!! thanks for the reminder of this technique - so beautifully done!

Teresa Doyle said...

Very pretty cards Kandi. A great reminder about chalking. I haven't done that in a long time but love the look. I love how you even chalked the sky to finish off your scene.
You could do this with ANY floral set.

Barb Turpin said...

Very soft effect...I always forget about my chalks!

Deborah Owens said...

Wow! What a beautiful card!

Emma Rose said...

Love the layout and use of technique :)