Friday, July 5, 2013

2013 Artisan Entry Blog Hop – Day 1

  ArtisanEntryBlogHopHeader

Today is a fun day, and will be a pretty fun 10 days as I share my projects that were submitted for the Artisan contest Stampin’ Up! holds each year. Although I wasn’t selected as a finalist, I am excited to share my projects along with several other talented ladies for a blog hop!

I will admit that I did not decide to enter the contest until my friend and upline LeeLa encouraged me to do so after we went to the Riverton Regional in April. Essentially, I made all 10 of my projects in about three weeks (yikes, haha!) and thankfully she was there to keep me going through the whole process! Thanks for being there LeeLa! :)

If you came from Laura's blog you're in the right place, and if you’re just stopping by today make sure to scroll to the bottom for the full hop list so you can see all of the projects shared!

For the first day I thought I would share one of my favorite cards!

Imagine the Possibilities

To make this card I did a sort of “reverse embossing” where I sprinkled embossing powders on the surface of a Pool Party cardstock layer. Since I wasn’t using any ink like VersaMark to make it stick to the base, I heated up the powder with my heat gun from the bottom or underside of the cardstock. This way you don’t have powder spraying out everywhere all over your card! ;)

I worked in sections and as the powder liquefied I  took a stamp from Clockworks, inked it in VersaMark, and then stamped over the embossing powders. Similar to what you do in the  faux metal technique like I did with this butterfly on this card, but instead you are just inking a portion and you’re not cutting/punching anything out.

Imagine the Possibilities 4

Here’s a close-up of the embossing, and to balance the card I stamped the same image in VersaMark and in Pool Party ink onto the Pool Party card stock layer.

  Imagine the Possibilities 2

The sentiment was stamped in the new retired set Word Play (one of my favorites, so sad!!) and on either side I stamped more of the images from the Clockworks stamp set. Also, the sentiment strip was popped up with dimensionals and covered both the Pool Party cardstock layer and the Basic Gray card base.

Imagine the Possibilities 3  

This is something that I would love to try again in a different combo of embossing powders and colors!

Supplies:

CS: Basic Gray, Pool Party, Whisper White

Ink: Basic Gray, Wild Wasabi, Pool Party, VersaMark, Basic Black (Stazon)

Stamps: Word Play, Clockworks

Accessories: Wild Wasabi, White and Black Embossing Powders, Heat gun, Dimensionals

Now, if you’re ready for more cool ideas and inspiration, follow the links below to continue on the hop! Be sure to come back over the next several days as I will have four more cards, three scrapbook pages and two 3-D projects!

 ArtisanBlogHopBackButtonArtisanBlogHopNextButton

 

Here’s the hop order if there are any hiccups along the way!

1. Brenda Quintana qbeesquest.blogspot.com/

2. Joan Robertson dailystampede.com/

3. Lauri Ingram lauri-paperville.blogspot.com/

4. Laura Mellinger laurasworksofheart.blogspot.com/

5. Kandi Phillips kandiphillips.blogspot.com/

6. Lisa Hensley ponygirl40stamps.blogspot.com/

7. Anna Black my-creation-station.blogspot.com/

8. Pamela Staples sunnygirlscraps.com/

9. Tina Munzke craftedwithclass.blogspot.com/

10. Cindy Major cindymajor.typepad.com/

11. Mary Haugen stampinup.net/esuite/home/maryhaugen/blog

14 comments:

Lauri Ingram said...

Kandi, this is just a unique technique and such a fun card! All the texture and color is great, this is a card people will definitely want to touch and ooh/aah over! Thanks for the inspiration! I am going to suggest this technique over at the Technique Twist challenge blog!

Brenda Quintana said...

Wow!! I love your card. I'm so not a technique girl, but I love it when other people do it. Just Fabulous!!

Joan said...

I love this technique and it has been on my to-do list for some time. Love your card and the detail pictures show how spectacular this one is.

lmel09 said...

Super cool technique Kandi! Love the texture!

Pam Staples said...

Kandi, that embossing technique is SO darn COOL! I love your card and how you did the embossing then stamping in the liquefied powder. I can't wait to try this technique myself now. Thanks so much for sharing! Awesome card!!!

Anna said...

I have never seen that embossing technique. That is so awesome! I love it with this set! Great job!

Jen Timko said...

This is REALLY cool!! Fantastic!

Lisa Hensley said...

What Jen said- very cool!

Lisa Hensley said...

What Jen said- very cool!

Patti McDermott said...

Cool technique!

Dani Dziama said...

LOVE all the texture! Great card! Thanks for sharing!

Marti said...

AWESOME! Beautiful card and great technique. I love the colors you chose. So wonderful together and perfect with this technique. I love this card

Carol Carriveau said...

Wow what a fun and neat card....great technique...kind of grunge which I am not normally in to, but you made this one so that I really appreciate it!

Kym said...

What a neat card. That is a great way to give texture and detail.

Kym