Tuesday, August 14, 2012

DIY Distressed Candlestick holders

I showed you our Living Room “almost done” reveal yesterday and now the rest of the week I’m sharing close-ups of the room, and the DIY projects that went into the space.

One of the projects I was most excited for were these DIY Distressed Candlestick holders.

DIYDistressed

 

Here’s what I had to work with and where this project all started.

DSC_1063

The light is weird in this one so the pics below show a better look at the color.

DSC_0001DSC_0002

Not bad really, but not the colors I’m using in my house so they need to be vamped up and changed out.

Here’s what I did to go from a goldish antiqued look to a distressed style!

1. I started off by spray painting all three candlestick holders black.

DSC_0020DSC_0021

2. This part was one the hardest…waiting 24 hours for the spray paint to fully dry! Once it was done though, I sprayed a couple coats of white paint over top of the black.

DSC_0033DSC_0034

3. I let it sit for about an hour and then came the fun part! Sanding!!! I used a small hand sanding block and just worked over the edges and sanded/rubbed any areas I wanted more black to show through.

DSC_0048DSC_0049

4. I sprayed on a couple coats of clear to seal it in and then set it up in my house!

DSC_0103

I absolutely LOVE how these turned out!

DSC_0104

Candlestick holders//Junk pile at work that was being tossed//FREE

Moss orb and stone orb// Real Deals on Home Décor (Tooele)// $8.99 and $4.99

Armillary silver sphere//DIY project I will share//$3.00

Spray paint//already on hand

 

Eventually I’ll have my “real” console table and these will be displayed on it. This gives an idea of where it’s at in my living room.

DSC_0111

I can’t wait to get the table in there and the pics hung up so I can show you what’s been in my head the past few weeks! Also, see that little glass pedestal? I have big plans for that! Mom is shipping me some goodies from the beaches of Florida so I can start on that project soon.

Hopefully by the time that project is done I will have my console table in place and can do another reveal!



Linking up to:
OneCreativeMommy.com

1 comment:

Della said...

Love those candle holders. You did a great job on them! I'd love to have some to encrust with shells :) I've actually been on the lookout for the perfect set.