Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What I’m Reading

I am a book nerd.

I was the kid that got in trouble for crappy handwriting because I would speed through my work so I could go to the reading corner.*

I tune everything out when I’m sucked into a good book.

I have a reading list on Goodreads that is a mile long.

Basically, I like books.

I’ve been reading a ton of YA books lately, but wanted to switch gears to something a little different. YA books are like brain candy to me. They don’t really make me think (you could argue that some do), but I enjoy the plot, the characters, the different worlds, etc. and I pretty much devour them in one sitting. See…brain candy.

Here’s what I’m currently working on, I’ll let you know how they turn out!

1675399

The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine – description from Goodreads. I’m only the first chapter but already it’s been really  interesting. 

Why are women more verbal than men? Why do women remember details of fights that men can’t remember at all? Why do women tend to form deeper bonds with their female friends than men do with their male counterparts? These and other questions have stumped both sexes throughout the ages.

Now, pioneering neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine, M.D., brings together the latest findings to show how the unique structure of the female brain determines how women think, what they value, how they communicate, and who they love. While doing research as a medical student at Yale and then as a resident and faculty member at Harvard, Louann Brizendine discovered that almost all of the clinical data in existence on neurology, psychology, and neurobiology focused exclusively on males. In response to the overwhelming need for information on the female mind, Brizendine established the first clinic in the country to study and treat women’s brain function. In The Female Brain, Dr. Brizendine distills all her findings and the latest information from the scientific community in a highly accessible book that educates women about their unique brain/body/behavior.

The result: women will come away from this book knowing that they have a lean, mean, communicating machine. Men will develop a serious case of brain envy.

10467263

The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman – description from Goodreads. I took the quiz and had Jake take it as well so we could determine our “love language” so I could learn more about the languages as I read it. It’s in the back of the book, but you can also take it online, here. Jake (not surprising to me) “speaks” Physical Touch, and I am considered “bilingual” as I scored evenly on two languages, Words of Affirmation and Quality Time. Once I finish up The Female Brain I’ll be starting this one right after!

Are you and your spouse speaking the same language? He sends you flowers when what you really want is time to talk. She gives you a hug when what you really need is a home-cooked meal. The problem isn't your love - it's your love language! In this international best seller, Dr. Gary Chapman reveals how different people express love in different ways. In fact, there are five specific languages of love: Quality time, words of affirmation, gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. What speaks volumes to you may be meaningless to your spouse. But here, at last, is the key to understanding each other's unique needs. Apply the right principles, learn the right language, and soon you'll know the profound satisfaction and joy of being able to express your love - and feeling truly loved in return.

 

Once those two are done, I’ll probably jump back into a couple YA books I’ve had on my iPad (downloaded in iBooks) for a few weeks now. What are you reading or getting ready to read?

*My handwriting is pretty stellar now, and I was a great student and had good grades. I just wrote sloppy because reading was more important to me than legible handwriting. ;)

No comments: